Kolkata, also known as the City of Joy, is often considered to be the cultural capital of India. With many feathers to its cap, Kolkata has not only earned itself a name on the world map, but it is also a famed tourist destination which is frequented by both domestic as well as international tourists.
So, if you are planning to visit this city anytime soon you should immediately start looking for some good hotels in kolkata where you can put up during the duration of your stay. Well, if you are coming to Kolkata for the first time and your purpose is tourism, then here are a few places in the city that you ought to visit:
- PrincepGhat: This is one of the most frequented places in Kolkata both by locals as well as tourists. Named after James Princep, this place still has a little railway line and is located just by the river. You can take a walk on the riverside and if you want you can also go for a boat ride. In fact, the boat ride is one of the best in Kolkata. These hand drawn boats will take you for a ride for almost an hour on the Hooghly River, right under the Howrah Bridge. A trip to PrincepGhat promises to be a fun one.
- Victoria Memorial: Almost everyone visits Victoria Memorial when they are in Kolkata. This was built in order to commemorate Queen Victoria, during the colonial rule in India. This brilliant white piece of architecture has garnered a lot of attention throughout the year. There is a very famous wind vane on top of the Victoria Memorial. You can take a tour around the park surrounding the memorial and also take a tour of the museum inside, which definitely promises to be an enriching one.
- Rabindra Sarovar: Well if you are looking for a place where you can sit and chill and enjoy the onset of the evening, then do head out to Rabindra Sarovar which is quite a popular place in the city. Located beside a lake and shrouded in greenery you will find joggers frequenting this place. It is one of the quietest places in the city and if you need some me time away from all the hustle bustle, then this is the perfect place to go to.
- Indian Museum: This is a must visit when you are in Kolkata. Spread over a large area with countless rooms, the Indian Museum house various important and interesting artefacts, right from mummies to sculptures to rare species of butterflies and insects, you will find anything that you want here!
- Alipore Zoo: When in Kolkata during the winter months, you should definitely visit the zoo at least once. It is a very large zoo with plenty of animals and birds which you will surely enjoy. It is the perfect place to enjoy a winter picnic!
Now that you know which places you ought to visit when it comes to Kolkata, start your hotel booking today!